This blog is to follow my internship at Burney Harris Lyons Middle School with Mr. Corley's 8th grade science classes. It is part of the Learning Through Service project at Classic City PLC.

Monday, March 22, 2010

BHL week 4

March 17 was my fourth day at BHL. The day before, Corley had facbooked me warning me I might want to bring a book. I'm glad I did, we watched the same movie in every class.

It was an interesting movie; it was a Nova episode about Earth's electro-magnetic fields. Watching it for the first time was enjoyable - the film talked about how scientists study Earth's electro-magnetic field over time, and how the poles "flipped" every few thousand years, and how the overall field protecting the Earth from the sun's radiation was decreasing in a similar pattern to what some scientists believe happened to Mars.

After first period I spent most of the time reading Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. Fourth period was a little more interesting, I got to sit next to Frank to keep him in line. This kid has a response to everything. He is incredibly smart, but won't shut up and causes problems. He'd start to talk or misbehave and I'd say "Frank?" and he'd reply, "Intern?" and be quiet for a few minutes.

Lunch and planning was uneventful, I talked to my 8th grade social studies teacher Mr. Joiner about teaching. He's moving and taking a break from teaching; students have seriously worn him down since I was in his class a few years ago.

Sixth period was the same video as before. I'm glad Diary was the only book I had. It starts slow and I've tried to read it before without really getting into it, but once I got past the beginning it turned out to be a really interesting novel. Palahniuk is a great author, his stories are written in abstract, unique styles. Diary is written as the diary kept of all the events of the people in the life of Peter after his failed suicide attempt leaves him in a vegetative state coma. Alot of dark humor, Diary was a nice accompaniment to this day at BHL.

2 comments:

  1. Feb 17: 8am-3:30pm (7.5 hours)
    Feb 24: 8am-3:30pm (7.5 hours)
    Mar 3: 8am-3:30pm (7.5 hours)
    Mar 17: 8am-3:30pm (7.5 hours)

    Total (thus far): 30 hours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still to go:
    April 7
    April 14
    April 21
    April 28
    May 5
    May 12
    (45 hours)
    (75 hours total)

    ReplyDelete