This blog is to follow my internship at Burney Harris Lyons Middle School with Mr. Corley's 8th grade science classes. It is part of the Learning Through Service project at Classic City PLC.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

BHL week 2

The second day of my internship at BHL was on February 24, 2010. I arrived at 8a.m. and went to Mr. Corley's room, same as the week before. As students arrived, he went over the study guide his classes would be doing that day. It was material I had not covered since 6th grade, but luckily I got an answer key to help. The ELT class was continuing in Lord of the Flies; they were at the part when the first pig is killed. Then, periods two, three, four, and six were all similar. I circulated around the room helping them fill out the study guides and explain certain ideas. The upcoming test was to cover force, work, and simple machines.

I find that I actually learn the most about teaching during lunch, when teachers discuss how they really feel about things. I've been in classrooms my whole life, but now it's like behind the scenes. Alot of frustration comes from decisions made by people in higher positions, who are not in the classroom and impose impractical policies. Another big problem is the attitudes of the students. They don't care about learning, don't take anything seriously, and blame the teachers for failing grades. Parents are also far more likely to blame the teacher, before chastising their child's behaviors and/or work and study habits.

Despite how annoying it can be to constantly tell students to be quiet and pay attention, I am not deterred from being a teacher. Though I am not certain that teaching is my career of choice, going to BHL as a teachers aid every Wednesday is still a fun and interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment