This blog is to follow my internship at Burney Harris Lyons Middle School with Mr. Corley's 8th grade science classes. It is part of the Learning Through Service project at Classic City PLC.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

BHL week 5

I only stayed for a few hours this week, from 8 until 12. I pulled a muscle at work the day before and it was hurting quite badly and interfering with my breathing. Plus, Mr. Corley usually forgets that I am coming and doesn't have anything for me to do. These next few weeks are preparation for the upcoming CRCTs, so the classes have been primarily review lectures. I pretty much just migrated around the room, reminding students to be quiet. I took up a few notes but eventually just let it slide; they would talk out loud and disturb others without passing notes, and they were not paying attention even when the notes were gone.

This week was excruciatingly boring, the worst yet. The lectures were rather dry, just covering the basic ideas that will be on the CRCT. In first period, ELT, we went through a practice CRCT with the class. I have realized, alot more could get done if there were far fewer students in the classes. With 30 kids in a class with one teacher, it is difficult to get all 30 minds focused on the same thing at once. We're lucky to get barely 15 kids paying attention at any given moment.

The next classes were the same lecture over and over, the basic ideas and concepts that will be tested on the CRCT. It was not only boring for me but for the other students as well. The lectures would be great for auditory learners, but that's not the majority of the class. I was tempted to ask if I could take a small group of three girls (the ones who were passing notes) out into the hall to do our own review, but Mr. Corley is very fussy about that kind of thing. I'll bring it up next time in the morning before students arrive to see what he says...

Arround 11:30 the boredom combined with the petulant throbbing of my right ribs and lung area became too much. I called my dad who insited on taking me to the doctor, and though I was admantly opposed the day prior, any form of relif was welcomed. I asked Mr. Corley if it would be ok to leave and before I even finished explaining he just told me to go, that it was a dreadfully dull day he agreed.

I will be back on Wednesday, April 14 for a regular day, but the two weeks after have CRCTs on Wednesdays so I will be going on Friday April 23 and Friday April 30. I am supposed to go May 5 and May 12, but there is lots going on so I may be going on different days. Even though I only got in 4 hours this week, if I stay 4 more full days I will finish with 71.5 hours (I have 34 right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment