This blog is to follow my internship at Burney Harris Lyons Middle School with Mr. Corley's 8th grade science classes. It is part of the Learning Through Service project at Classic City PLC.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Activity 6

Topic 6: Attendance and Timeliness

I didn't go to BHL this week because of graduation testing, but it's not like I'm missing anything.

Task 1: Helpful Hints

"1. Rise and Shine! Set your alarm clock for 20 minutes earlier than necessary. That way, you can either hit "snooze" in the morning, or have extra time to get ready."
This would be useful if I was crunched for time in the mornings, but since I already get up early and don't have issues with being late, I'll pass on this hint... But not that it's a bad suggestion, when I had to be at Jefferson at 7:45 every morning, waking up a little earlier so I wasn't rushed was nice.

"2. Be Prepared! Have your clothes washed, ironed and laid out the night before so you can get dressed faster."
Fo' Sho'. My teacher clothes have their own special drawer in my dresser.

"3. Multitask! Prepare your lunch for the next day ahead of time while making your dinner."
I eat lunch at school and it's honestly one of the best meals I eat all week. I get awfully tired of Domino's and Lean Cuisine.

"4. Know where you are going! Get directions to your service site before your first visit. Plan your route and know how long it takes to get there."
BHL is like 5 minutes from my house.

"5. Expect the unexpected! Understand that not everything will go smoothly in the mornings. Give yourself enough time to deal with any potential problems that may arise, such as traffic jams, spilling something on your clothes or running out of gas."
I usually give myself a comfortable time frame to avoid stuff like that...

"6. Call ahead! If you are going to be late, make sure you have the phone number of the place where you are going. Call as soon as you know you will be late and give an honest estimate of how long it will take you to get there. Apologize for the delay and work harder the next time to get there on time."
Or better yet, don't be late.

"7. Save your absences! Always reserve your absences for when you really need to take them. If you miss work, school or your service learning because you take a vacation day, your boss, teacher or mentor will be less sympathetic to you needing to also take a sick day. Be sure you need to be absent before you miss a scheduled responsibility."
Well, I think the graduation tests are a good enough reason. Plus I've got and will have plenty of hours.

Task 2: Understanding where your time goes
I usually spend about half an hour (if not more) sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee, thinking, talking to my dad, listening to music, going online... This is an important part of my routine, it's how I "start" my day. And since I don't have problems with tardiness, I have no reason to alter it.

Task 3:

I. Discuss a variety of ways you can implement time management into your daily life.
I plan out the next day the night before, making sure I have plenty of time to do what I need to do and have transportation to where I need to be.

II. What would you do if you became overwhelmed with obligations?
Prioritize and cut some of them down or out. I spend too much time being bored to not fulfill my obligations.

III. Give your blog an appropriate title.
Is "activity 6" ok? Not very creative, but I like to keep things organized.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, now an activity for each week I go to BHL and this will be a complete service learning blog! 6 activities, 6 weeks left. Cool.

    ReplyDelete