This blog is to follow my internship at Burney Harris Lyons Middle School with Mr. Corley's 8th grade science classes. It is part of the Learning Through Service project at Classic City PLC.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Activity 7

Topic 7: Creating Your Resume

Ok, I will be doing this one a little differently as well. For Mr Sigmund, I will print off a copy of my resume I have already created and have Phil give it to you. I already have a great job at Domino's, but when I finished all my course work at PLC and had a bunch of free time, I applied at a few other places to fill those hours. My brother (also my manager, awesome right?!) ended up redoing the schedule to get me the hours I want when I wanted them so I ended up not taking any new jobs. I did however make a new resume and turned it in at several places, landing three interviews (I got hired at Loco's and Rue 21, but turned both of them down to keep my main job).

As far as the "inventory of positive work traits" goes, I am supremely skilled at BSing without lying (that's pretty much what you're doing if you're making a resume for a minimum wage job, the resume is just to show that you put effort into obtaining the job; at Domino's our policy is pretty much that you have to know someone to get a job, but one time this one kid turned in a resume with his application, so he had to be hired obviously being the best candidate for the job, and he turned out to be the worst employee in recent Domino's history, also the first and only person Wil (my brother/manager) has fired).

So after listing my positive traits and academic achievements, I can expand my one job at Domino's into three separate positions: CSR (customer service representative, I work inside answering phones and cleaning and making pizza), Promo (wobble boarding, door hanging, other promotional stuff) and Game Day tent manager (me and Phil set up a tent outside Domino's on gamedays and sell pizza, I gave myself the title of manager of the tent and my bro ok'd it).

And then, making it look pretty. I don't have Micorsoft Word at home so I had to start from scratch, but it's not hard. First off, a header with my name and contact info. Then, carefully format it so it is straight forward and professional looking (using bullets instead of "-", a simple border around the edges).

One thing that I think helped me was making an objective, where I stated what kind of job I was looking for, why I wanted it, and why I was the best for it. I made different resumes for different places, highlighting my experience in the food industry and desire to gain table waiting experience for restaurants, accenting my desire to go beyond the food industry for retail stores (the Rue 21 manager said she thought I might be too smart to work there).


And now for this activity I am supposed to do a blog response to:
"What skills do you possess that are unique to you? What experiences in work or the community equip you to follow a career path you would like to pursue? What will you continue to do in your daily life to add valuable skills to your resume?"

I am very intellegent and have good reasoning skills; I like to find the most efficient way to do something (because usually things are not being done very efficiently). When being compared to others or competing against others I strive to excell and prove myself to be above everyone else. I am motivated to succeed in whatever I am doing (it's really not even that hard! I'm already in line to be promoted to assistant manager status on my 18th birthday). i prioritize my life, getting done what needs to be done before going off and having fun. I don't let ceratin habits interefere with my work, I like to know that I am on top of thinngs before I relax and chill.



No comments:

Post a Comment